Pages

Thursday, August 21, 2014

Pre-Diplomatic Cross-Country Tour, Day Four

Post by J

This morning, after a run on the hotel's treadmill and a stop in their breakfast room, I was struggling to open my hotel room door with a bowl of oatmeal in one hand, a cup of hot coffee in the other, and my room key card in my pocket. A maid who looked to be about 20 was in the hallway outside my door and asked sweetly, "Can I help you, honey?" in a molasses-slow Tennessee drawl. I'm definitely not in Wyoming any more. Not that Wyoming maids aren't helpful - they are - but they definitely don't have the accent, and I've never been called honey by one of them, especially one young enough to be my daughter. I thanked that sweet, helpful girl and left a $5 tip on the desk when I departed. Because she was helpful, yes. But mostly because I'm a little in love with the accent.

It only took 3.5 hours to drive to Roanoke, and I was tempted to stop at three places I saw advertised along the Interstate:  President Andrew Johnson's home in Greenville, TN (because everyone should know a little bit about the presidents, even those who've been impeached ... I'm looking at you, Bill Clinton), Davy Crockett Birthplace State Park, also in Tennessee (because Davy's got a pretty bad-ass reputation, and looks good in a coonskin cap besides), and Hungry Mother State Park in Virginia (because who isn't curious about this one?). It was starting to rain, however, so I decided to keep driving. I have subsequently looked up the Hungry Mother State Park, though, because I just had to know. In a nutshell, a long time ago Native Americans destroyed several settlements in the area, but a mother (Molly Marley) and her child escaped. Surviving on berries, Molly eventually collapsed and the child wandered down a creek until he or she found help. All the child could say was "Hungry mother," though, and by the time Molly was found, she was dead. Note to the Virginia State Parks people: Molly Marley State Park is a much better name.

I pulled in to Roanoke at about 2:30 and promptly went to the mall where I found a really nice blazer for work - original price:  $100. Sale price:  $12.  Score!

Tomorrow I arrive in Falls Church. It's only about a three-hour drive from here and I plan to take in a few sites along the way, even if it's raining.

No comments:

Post a Comment