Pages

Thursday, October 23, 2014

Harpers Ferry

Post by J

Last Saturday, I thought I'd drive to West Virginia to see Harpers Ferry - I was looking for fall colors and wanted to get out of the city. I picked up my keys, grabbed my camera and headed for the door. I checked my text messages as I was turning the handle, and found a message from a friend I hadn't seen in over 15 years. It read, "I'm thinking of going to Harpers Ferry today; want to go along?" I love me some coincidence.  :)

So we drove up and had a really nice day, including a yummy lunch and a couple of beers.

I remember a little of the history of the area from high school - about the abolitionist, John Brown, and his raid on Harpers Ferry, and his subsequent hanging.  Mostly, though, I was thinking of Stephen Vincent Benet's epic poem about the Civil War, John Brown's Body. When I was in high school, I competed in speech meets with excerpts from this poem and I still remember quite a bit of it.

But I especially loved being in a rural area taking photos:










No comments:

Post a Comment