Pages

Sunday, December 14, 2014

Dreaming in Spanish

Post by J

I am overwhelmed by my resources!

I'm about to begin week 8 of Spanish school, which means I'll be one third of the way through my course by the end of the week. I go to sleep thinking of Spanish phrases and wake up conjugating verbs. 

I had my six-week evaluation on Monday of last week, and am exactly where I'm supposed to be: 1+/1+ (read more about what this level means here). This is a real relief to me, since F.S.I.'s approach to teaching a language is very different from what I had all those years ago at the Defense Language Institute, and I wasn't sure I was progressing at an adequate rate. It appears that I am - hurray!

It does seem that all R and I do is go to school and come home to study. We go to the grocery store on Saturday or Sunday, but really, we don't do much but study the EspaƱol. We've worked ourselves into a rut and honestly, it's getting a bit monotonous. So yesterday we trekked out to the National Portrait Gallery and enjoyed a few hours gazing at the art and reading about amazing Americans like John Eliot. Fortunately for us, the Italian Embassy here in D.C. was having a celebration at the museum while we were there, so we were exposed to a little culture from a foreign land, too.

Christmas is fast approaching and R and I are looking forward to celebrating a week late when H and L arrive for New Year's. It will be nice to take a break and get out into the real world again!

No comments:

Post a Comment