Pages

Monday, January 12, 2015

New Year's Goals

Post by J

I'm not really a "resolutions" person, in that traditional "I resolve to change myself in the coming months so that I resemble someone else's idea of the perfect person" kind of way. Rather, I like to make a list of manageable goals for the year and then check off each one as it's accomplished.

This does several things for me: it provides both a little rush of anticipation for completing the task, and a smug sense of satisfaction when the task is actually done (and I love me some smug sense of satisfaction). More than that, however, a list of goals is a constant reminder that the goal is not really what's important. A finished project is great and all, but if my eyes are constantly focused on the horizon, I'm missing all of the beautiful and challenging details along the way. In a weird twist, a list of goals reminds me to take time to enjoy the moment, too.

So this year, my dear seester posted the following on FaceBook:


And because I love a pre-made list, I've decided to adopt this one and set these as my goals for 2015. There are nine items, and I could accomplish three simply by being in the Foreign Service (Learn a new skill - Spanish; Visit a new place - Dominican Republic; Try a new food - something in Santo Domingo, I'm sure), but this feels a bit like cheating. So I plan to accomplish all nine without counting learning Spanish and moving to the D.R.

The new year is a fresh slate, a clean piece of paper in the typewriter (how old am I?), an empty basket to fill with memories, and a bunch of other cliches. And I'm excited to get started.

No comments:

Post a Comment