Pages

Sunday, November 22, 2015

The Gift of Citizenship

Adjudicating a Citizen Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA) is normally pretty routine; on average each case takes about 20 minutes or less. I interview the mother and father (one of whom must be a U.S. citizen), review all of the documentation, and make a determination on whether the requirements for their child's citizenship have been met. I tell the couple if I need more information, or if they already have everything necessary for me to approve the application. Usually, the couple thanks me (even if they haven't met the standard and are required to return) and they go on their merry way.

It's a big deal, though, to be able to transmit citizenship to your child. Many applicants who come to my window are naturalized U.S. citizens, which means they didn't acquire U.S. citizenship at birth. Most recognize that it's a huge gift to be able to pass along U.S. citizenship to your children. I'm not sure I fully appreciated the enormity of that gift until last Thursday when an older couple came to my window.
"Thank you, sir, " I said. "All of your documents are in order, and I am approving the application for your daughter's birth certificate and passport. You should receive them via courier in two to three weeks." 
"But when will she be a U.S. citizen?" the father asked. (His experience of becoming a citizen through naturalization had taken years.)
"She has U.S. citizenship as of this moment," I replied.
He blinked. "Thank you," he said. And then his eyes filled with tears. 
He hadn't taken for granted that his daughter would be able to derive citizenship through him, and I could feel his relief through the window. He told me a little of his history and why it was so important to him. I listened and couldn't help but think of how different his experience was from my own - how difficult it had been for him and how easy it had been for me. How I never doubted that my children would be U.S. citizens.

For him, those 15 or 20 minutes at the U.S. Embassy in Santo Domingo were life-changing. For me, they were humbling.

No comments:

Post a Comment