Pages

Sunday, February 28, 2016

Santo Domingo Parque Zoológico Nacional

A few weeks ago R and I visited the national zoo here in Santo Domingo. It was a nice change from the botanical garden where we usually go to walk, and we enjoyed a pleasant afternoon wandering around the grounds. I've heard that the children's area of the zoo is particularly nice, but we didn't venture there. The weather is a bit cooler here in the DR in the winter months so we were able to stay an hour or two without being uncomfortably hot.

I took my camera, of course, but when I got home I discovered I'd mainly taken photos of birds. I don't know why. There were regular zoo-type animals (tigers, zebras, water buffalo, monkeys, a rhino...) but for some reason I was focused on birds, especially the flamingos:


I loved the murals that were near the reptile exhibit:


But I kept circling back to the birds:

The perpetually grumpy-looking ostrich.
I seriously have no idea. It comes from New Zealand, I think.
Overall, the park is a nice oasis in the traffic-clogged city (we're always on the lookout for places like that!) and was certainly worth the $2 ticket price.


And I do love me some flamingos.


No comments:

Post a Comment