Pages

Sunday, September 14, 2014

A-100 Weeks Two and Three Recap

Post by J

Time seems to move quickly when you're busy. Case in point: How is it possible that I'm now half-way through A-100? Week two? Gone. Week three? History.  Crazy.

We've been busy learning about what a foreign service career might hold, how to face the challenges that are sure to arise, how to juggle work/life balance, and how to write reports (cables in FS speak). We've talked about generational differences and taken the Myers-Briggs personality assessment. We listened in rapt attention as bureau chiefs gave an overview of the six different regions in which we might serve in our careers. We met with our Career Development Officers to discuss our bid list priorities, and we traveled to the "Woods" where we participated in team-building and leadership exercises.

Of course, the main focus of week two was meeting with our CDOs. I met with mine on Friday of that week, and we were able to include R via speaker phone. The primary reason for the meeting was for our CDO to get to know us and understand our priorities in bidding. I think it's safe to say that this meeting is extremely important and will ultimately play a big role in where I'm assigned. I submitted my final bid list on Tuesday of week three, so where R and I end up is now completely out of my hands. Because of that, I'm no longer devoting any mental energy to it.  After all, I have plenty of other things to do.

The last two days of week three were dedicated to the off-site (the "Woods") event.  We traveled by bus out of Washington on Thursday and returned on Friday. There were multiple exercises that stressed working as a team to accomplish a goal. Although I've read that others find these two days stressful, I had a great time. I think I got to know a few more of my classmates a little bit better, and we had fun, particularly during the "Follies" - a performance that a committee of my classmates put on Thursday evening. The Follies were fun because we had a chance to loosen up and laugh.

I have to say that the 84 other members of my class are an impressive lot. They have varied educational backgrounds, speak myriad languages and can call on unique experiences to add value to nearly any conversation. I've found that they're very accepting, too. I'm an outlier in the group (I'm quite a bit older than most of my classmates, and my life experiences are different), but I definitely still feel that I belong, and that I have something to contribute.

Three more weeks (and 12 days until Flag Day)!

No comments:

Post a Comment