Pages

Saturday, September 6, 2014

Arlington National Cemetery

Post by J

Last week I drove over to Fort Myer, an Army post in Arlington. The primary reason was to visit the commissary and the post exchange and stock up on groceries and other sundry items, but while there I noticed that it was directly adjacent to Arlington National Cemetery. I made a mental note to return and wander among the rows of stones that mark the final resting place of so many fallen to whom we collectively owe so much.

I did that today.

I parked on post near the Fort Myer chapel and walked through the Miegs Street gate. I was surprised by how many unique grave markers I immediately saw; all of the photos you ever see of ANC show rows and rows of identical white stones. There were plenty (sadly, far too many) of the expected kind, but there are other types as well.


I wandered around over the paved pathways, a bit overwhelmed by the acres and acres of lives represented by all that marble. "Thank you for your service" seems a pitiful salute to the men and women laid to rest in Arlington, or to those buried in hometowns and in cemeteries abroad, or to those in unmarked places that no one ever visits. It's an inadequate expression to the living men and women who have served or are currently serving in the U.S. military. I texted a picture to R, and his response captured how I felt: "May they rest in peace," he responded. "It should be a mandatory field trip for all new Federal employees and elected officials."

I was in time to see the changing of the guard at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier, which brought me to tears. There was a large crowd, over 100, I think, and no one made a sound as the guards changed and a soldier played Taps. This is from the ANC website:
The Tomb of the Unknown Soldier is guarded 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, and in any weather by Tomb Guard sentinels. Sentinels, all volunteers, are considered to be the best of the elite 3rd U.S. Infantry Regiment (The Old Guard), headquartered at Fort Myer, Virginia.
In fact, a video in the building next to the Tomb indicates that becoming a sentinel and serving honorably for nine months will merit the soldier being awarded a special Army decoration: The Tomb of the Unknown Soldier Guard Identification Badge. This is the 2nd rarest award in the U.S. Army.



And then, of course there were the rows upon rows of headstones:



I really appreciated that on the back side of some of the stones was the name of the service member's wife (or possibly husband, although I didn't see one). Families - wives, husbands, children, parents - also sacrifice when a soldier serves.

After spending some time thinking on a bench overlooking a wide expanse of the cemetery, I slowly walked back to my car - a little more thoughtful, a little more grateful.

1 comment:

  1. Arlington, was my favorite place when I visited you there. Such a reverent inspiring place.

    ReplyDelete