Pages

Monday, April 18, 2016

Staying Busy

Since R left, I've been keeping myself busy with various activities.

I spent Easter weekend with my sister in Utah. Oh, my, but it was good to be back in the U.S. - in the land of  cold weather,easy access to whatever random product you might need, and sane driving. I didn't think I had a close connection in Miami (I had scheduled nearly 2 hours), but my plane from Santo Domingo was 30 minutes late and customs/immigration sucks at the Miami airport, so I ended up making my flight to Salt Lake with just 5 minutes to spare. My luggage was not so lucky. When I arrived at 11:30 p.m. in SLC, my sister and I promptly drove to a 24-hour Wal Mart (don't judge) and had a great time shopping for underwear and PJs to tide me over. We laughed plenty in the aisles of Wal Mart - a little "punch-drunk" from being overtired, to be sure. It was a great way to start the weekend, really. We watched movies and ate chocolate and chatted the time away.

Back in Santo Domingo, I had the opportunity to go to a shooting range with some military personnel and fire an M4 and a handgun. I hadn't shot a weapon that big since my Army days, so it was pretty fun. The weapons were also surprisingly heavy. I don't remember my 24-year-old self having any difficulty lifting that M16! Note to self: Begin strength training ASAP.

Work is humming along. I found out that I'll be heading to the Immigrant Visa (IV) unit at the embassy in August for the second year of my tour. I'm lucky that I have the opportunity to learn this aspect of consular work during my first tour; many consulates do not process immigrant visa applications, and many embassies have a very low volume. Here in the Dominican Republic, however, the demand is high - we're second in the world in processing the most IV applications. I'll also have the chance to cross-train in Non-Immigrant Visas (NIV), so I'll be really well prepared for whatever consular post comes next.

I only have 4 months left in American Citizen Services, and I will surely miss it. Arguably the most important aspect of consular work is helping US citizens abroad. Last week I visited a US citizen who was being held by Dominican authorities, awaiting extradition to the US. He had been "on the run" for over 13 years and asked that I contact his relatives in the US (he signed a privacy act waiver allowing me to do this). When I reached his family, rather than being upset that he was in custody, they were relieved to know he was alive. "On the run" apparently means no contact with loved ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment