Pages

Tuesday, May 31, 2016

San Antonio

H and I were able to enjoy a relaxing four day weekend in San Antonio over Memorial Day. We had been planning this little mother-daughter getaway for awhile after randomly choosing Texas as a place to visit.

Both of our flights were delayed getting in to San Antonio, and by the time we were ready to go off in search of the rental car company through which I'd made reservations, it was after midnight and they were closed. Fortunately for us, Avis was able to accommodate our last-minute request and we drove out of the airport at 2:00 a.m. in a white Mustang convertible. A great start to a great weekend!

The Alamo - this building is called The Shrine.
Texas does know how to grow trees. :)
Not sure what this monument is, exactly, but H suggested it was the rock upon which
Sam Houston washed his clothes. We'll go with that.
 And we visited the zoo, of course:



A very photogenic stork.

And the gorgeous Botanical Garden:






We were fortunate to get to see an abundance of statuary by Mexican artist Jorge MarĂ­n.
The exhibit was due to close on June 5.

And one more, of my beautiful girl:


I ate more than my fair share of Starbucks' lemon pound cake, the River Walk offered some good Mexican fare, and we had a really nice dinner atop the Tower of the Americas. Yes, basically, I did what I usually do when visiting the U.S. - I ate my way through my vacation.

It was really wonderful - the city, the history, the food, but the best part was being able to spend time with H. It's one of the biggest sacrifices of being in the foreign service, this time away from family, so of course I have to take advantage of every opportunity that comes around.

1 comment:

  1. Looks like you had a great time! Looking forward to seeing you the end of June!

    ReplyDelete