Pages

Wednesday, May 9, 2018

Islamabad - Week Twenty-Three

R and I had a rare opportunity to travel outside of Islamabad on Saturday and visit the Khewra Salt Mine, courtesy of the embassy's Community Liaison Office. The "CLO" organizes a lot of trips, but they are so popular and there are so many people at the embassy that want to go, that they've set up a lottery system. It works out that an employee may be able to go on two CLO trips in a year (three if they are really lucky). We jumped at the chance to travel three hours south and visit the second largest salt mine in the world.

Reminds me of Wyoming!

Through bulletproof glass - just walking along, leading a camel.

Again, in a moving vehicle - I have no idea what these are. Perhaps for making charcoal?

School children always make me smile.

Selfie! But in my defense, they approached me first. :)

There is a light behind this wall - the differing colors of the salt bricks are dependent on the content of various minerals.

A mini-mosque, made of salt!

So glittery! It looks like some nebula in the night sky to me.

Okay, THIS one looks like the night sky. :)

A salt seller.

Probably preventing spitting, but it looks cute. Poor camel.

Salt lamps! Trendy in the US (Himalayan Salt!), but pretty cheap here.

There's a goat in that window!

Fancy.

No comments:

Post a Comment