Pages

Sunday, August 9, 2015

Puerto Rico, Day Two

Sunday in Puerto Rico. R and I rose early and looked out over the city. While I don't like to drive in congested areas, city scapes are lovely to look at from a distance. Over our balcony we saw quite a few people running along the sidewalk, so we decided to do as the locals do and forced ourselves into our running shoes and set out. What I love about running in an unfamiliar town is that it serves two purposes - you get some exercise and you get to see what the neighborhood is like. It was already very warm, even early in the morning, and the humidity was pretty high, so we didn't run very long - that's going to take some acclimating. It was a great view of the ocean, though, and we ran at a leisurely pace, discussing our options of what to do for the day. We had heard about Ponce from Destinos during language training, so after a quick shower and breakfast, we headed out.

The drive took about two hours from San Juan and we got to Ponce around 11:00 in the morning. We immediately headed to the Plaza Las Delicias to check out the lion statues. The city is named for Ponce de Leon y Loayza, the great-grandson of the Juan Ponce de Leon that is perpetually seeking the fountain of youth in everyone's memory. "Leon" in Spanish means "lion," and the Plaza Las Delicias has a colorfully painted lion on each corner. I was surprised at how small the square was, and the fountain in the center wasn't working, so I came away a little disappointed.

Next we visited the Parque de Bombas, which is a little museum devoted to the firefighting days of yore. You can't miss the museum on the street; it sports a pretty unique look.


I wonder what SeƱor Ponce de Leon would think of these fellows?
The Cathedral of our Lady of Guadeloupe is also located on the square and, it being Sunday, a mass was being held while we were in the area. We were resting on a bench near the fountain when we heard a beautiful voice singing a hymn in Spanish. It was coming from the cathedral, and since the side doors were open and I could see there was room on a pew immediately inside, we went in to listen. After the woman finished her song, the priest began his sermon, but I couldn't hear very well. It didn't really matter, though, because when I'm in any Catholic church in the world, I just sit quietly and think of my mom. It's my own private communion with God. We stayed through the mass, standing respectfully when others stood, making a donation when the offering basket came by, bowing our heads when a prayer was said. It was lovely. Out of respect I didn't take a single photo.

By the time the mass ended, it was time for lunch. We went in search of the Museo de Arte de Ponce, which got great reviews on TripAdvisor. We ate a little lunch (which included a delicious cupcake), and then wandered through the museum. The price was exceptional (five bucks), and the collection was really impressive. I loved that it was just the right size - it wasn't so big that I was overwhelmed, but it was big enough to offer a large variety of artists and artistic periods. Well done, Ponce!

I'm embarrassed to say I don't know who the artist is for this painting, but I remember it was a biblical scene. It was really well done, trust me.
We drove back to San Juan over the central mountain range - and what a twisty, narrow road that was. There weren't any shoulders on the road, and nearly every curve offered a little restaurant/bar (although where you'd park is beyond me (hence no photos), and the thought of drinking and then driving on that road is terrifying). The bamboo plants were huge - upwards of 60 feet, and it was like a rain forest in the clouds. I'm glad we got a chance to see it, but I'm also glad I don't have to drive that road again.

No comments:

Post a Comment