Pages

Friday, August 7, 2015

That's a wrap

For our last day in DC, R and I woke late, ate a leisurely breakfast of blueberry pancakes and mimosas, and then walked into DC for a visit to the National Gallery. We love walking those five miles!

We passed the Pentagon and the Lyndon B. Johnson Memorial Grove (an undiscovered gem of a place, if you ask me - shady pathways and views of Columbia Island Marina - and by pushing a button on a kiosk you can hear Lady Bird Johnson describing why the grove was created), and then crossed the Washington Memorial Bridge.

We passed the Jefferson Memorial and the Washington Monument, walked along the mall and took in the Hirshhorn Sculpture Garden, which includes a "wish tree" donated to the city by Yoko Ono. In front of the tree is a supply of pencils and paper tags (including strings for tying to the tree) for visitors to write their wishes. Along with many others, I suspect, I wished for peace in the world. Read more about the tree here.

The National Gallery never disappoints. Even if I've seen some of the collection before, I love being in the same room within breathing distance of world-renowned artists:

Mr. van Gogh, I presume.
Renoir - R told me his family tried to complete a jigsaw puzzle of this image
when he was a kid, but gave up. "Too many blues and greens." :)
Not your typical Toulouse Lautrec.
You've just got to love this lady and her crazy talent and moxie.
Albert Bierstadt, my favorite!
We took the metro back for an early dinner at our favorite Irish pub in Pentagon Row (I had Guiness and beef stew - how could I not?). 

And now, R and I are enjoying a nice glass of wine before tackling last-minute packing for the adventure to come.

The Federalist - quite apropos.

No comments:

Post a Comment